Updated August 2019
Briar Chapel is a new home neighborhood in Chatham County NC with a Chapel Hill address. It’s a straight drive down hwy 15-501 about 15 minutes from downtown Chapel Hill. Briar Chapel had its grand opening in September of 2008. Here is a link to my first Briar Chapel Video from 2010. The neighborhood has really changed!
- How many homes are in Briar Chapel?
- When will the neighborhood be completed?
- New homes in Briar Chapel
- Several things set the neighborhood apart from others. Pros:
- Is Briar Chapel for you? There a few reasons the neighborhood may not be a perfect fit. Cons:
- The Commute and Driving distances to Briar Chapel
- Briar Chapel Pricing
- Briar Chapel Builders
- Saussy Burbank
- Homes by Dickerson
- David Weekley
- 55+ in Briar Chapel
- Garman Homes
- All of the Briar Chapel new and resale homes for sale
- Briar Chapel
How many homes are in Briar Chapel?
The neighborhood has really changed! Briar Chapel is almost 1600 acres with 2400 homes planned and 900 acres of open space. In 2019 there are almost 2000 homes sold.
When will the neighborhood be completed?
Depending on the real estate market the neighborhood will likely be built out sometime in 2022 except for multi-family on the commercial sites.
New homes in Briar Chapel
The neighborhood is winding down and there isn’t much inventory of new homes because they are often sold before they are built or finished. The information center recently closed because the developer has moved on to new projects.
The new phases will have some larger lots (Homes by Dickerson) and some new townhomes by David Weekley Homes along with row house style by Garman Homes and Saussy Burbank.
Competition for homes will be strong as the new home possibilities are almost gone.
Several things set the neighborhood apart from others. Pros:
Location , price, builders, environmentally friendly, energy efficient homes, amenities, walking and mountain bike trails, schools, restaurants and commercial.
- First is location. 15 minutes from Chapel Hill and Franklin Street. There just aren’t many new homes in Chapel Hill and it is great to have new home inventory to show.
- Price is the next attraction. Homes have gone up since the neighborhood started but the prices are still the best for what you get in this part of the Triangle. Briar Chapel Homes for sale
- There are 5 builders and they are good. They range from national and regional builders to small custom builders. Price ranges from the low 300’s to 900’s .I think a neighborhood with competing builders keeps the designs and details fresh. Competition is good.
- The neighborhood is certified 3rd party green, both homes and amenities. The clubhouse is LEED gold certified. The National Green Building Standard (NGBS) is a program that certifies homes depending on the points received for green building practices. Briar Chapel builders must meet at a minimum the Bronze level of the National Green Building Standard (NGBS) . These building guidelines are given to the builders to follow.
- Incredible amenities. The salt water pools with huge water slide, trails, parks, schools, clubhouse, activities director and events.
- The schools are very good with Primrose preschool, elementary, middle and charter schools in the neighborhood
- Varied demographics because of the different home styles and prices.
Is Briar Chapel for you? There a few reasons the neighborhood may not be a perfect fit. Cons:
- At least for now it’s not a walkable neighborhood. Shopping and things to do are close by but you will need a car. You could walk the trail or bike to the restaurants at the neighborhood entrance but it’s 2 miles.
- It’s 15-20 minutes to Whole Foods but there is a Harris Teeter about a mile from the entrance. Did I mention that the entry parkway is almost 2 miles long?
- Many lots are very small. Some back to woods but the lot size may be a deal breaker for you. It is a trade off buyers make to get the new house in a neighborhood with amenities.
- There will be construction going on for a another year or so. When you move you will be competing with new homes if you are going to stay in your home for around 2 years you should be in good shape as development will be done. The good news is that homes have been appreciating even during the downturn when the neighborhood was just starting. There are separate construction entrances and development is in phases and goes fast.
- There are big power lines going through the neighborhood. I think the power lines are ok for resale if they aren’t in your backyard. There are different opinions and studies about the health risks so I advise you to research if it is a concern.
- There isn’t public transportation. There is a park and ride in Southern Village but that’s 10 minutes down 15-501.
- The new sections look bare. but trees grow fast!
Briar Chapel in Chapel Hill, NC is a large mixed use neighborhood in Chatham County, NC (Chapel Hill address). It’s one of the best new neighborhoods because of the location, builders, prices and amenities.
It’s a straight shot of around 7 miles down 15-501 to UNC Chapel Hill on a 4 lane road so it is a quick easy commute. The prices for new homes In Briar Chapel are the best in the area and I really like that the amenities are in and that the neighborhood is well maintained.
The first buyers in a neighborhood get the best prices but have a greater risk that the neighborhood won’t be developed as planned. I feel good when there are signs that the developer has deep pockets and will be around for the long haul. The Developer is Newland and here is a link to their site.
The Commute and Driving distances to Briar Chapel
The University of North Carolina is 8 miles and Duke University is 20 miles. RDU Airport is 25 miles. Raleigh is 40-45 minutes. There are back roads and alternate routes.
Briar Chapel Pricing
The average sales price in Briar Chapel is around $360,000. Price per sq ft. ranges from around 150 sq. ft. to over $200 sq ft. I’ve represented buyers in all price ranges. One thing to keep in mind is different builders have different pricing structures so you can’t go by base prices. There are usually lot premiums and structural and design center options. Garages can be attached or detached.The best way to tell true pricing is to look at the inventory (move in ready pricing). If the home has started the lot premiums and options are usually included.
Briar Chapel Builders
Saussy Burbank is one of my favorite builders because the houses are well done and ready for the walk through. Here is a client showing off their new kitchen.
Homes by Dickerson
They are a true custom builder and will build your home however you want as long as it meets the neighborhood architectural review. Homes by Dickerson builds a classic home with all of the latest updates without being too trendy.
I have worked with David Weekley Homes for years and know they build a good energy efficient home. Their plans are excellent and you get a good price along with the good plan. The features are really nice too. I especially like the customer service and how proud they are of their homes.
I’m excited to hear that will have some new lots in Briar Chapel with larger lots and 3 car garages.
55+ in Briar Chapel
Encore is a neighborhood within Briar Chapel by David Weekley Homes for over age 55 buyers. The floorplans are open and bright. There is a separate clubhouse and pool for this neighborhood and other Briar Chapel amenities are shared with the neighborhood. Prices start around $400,000 with lot premiums and some design center options. I have a video to help you see what Encore is like.
Garman Homes has been building in the neighborhood for years and they have their own style. They are also a local builder with their main office in Cary. My clients who have built with them have been very happy. They have an interesting concept for one of their home collections. They make buying simple by having pre selected packages for each home plan. There is a beautifully designed package for each of the most popular design styles so you just pick your home plan and then choose your style package. It’s easy and more efficient for the builder too and that’s reflected in the prices. You can get a 3 bedroom home with attached garage for under $400,000. If a detached garage or no garage works for you the prices can even be in the upper 200’s for the Fresh Paint collection!
If you would rather choose all of your finishes yourself, Garman has a really nice design center with designers to help.
I’ll get back out to Briar Chapel again soon and do a video update.
[listings market=”triangle” polygon=”$4994ac0c95b4b9b07ea32205b039f308″ polynames=”27516″ status=”ACTIVE” keyword=”briar chapel” listingType=”residential” sortfield=”daysOnHJI” sortorder=”asc” pageSize=”20″ grid_size=”0″ map=”1″ search_widget=”1″]